Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Virtually, Running Round the Clock

It's time to run, somewhere in the world today.  That's what Running Round the Clock is all about.
I used to get up early, drive 100 - 450 miles, complete a marathon, drive to another race, do it all over again, and then drive back home to work on Monday morning.


After putting 200K miles on my car, spending thousands of dollars on race entries and missing my family on the weekends, I decided to search for a simpler way of setting and achieving my goals.


At first, I decided to become a race director for Ultra Marathons.  I put on 6 races of up to 100 miles or 48 hours for friends and fellow runners in Southern California over a 2 year period.  This was fun, but it also took a toll on my family and friends.  One night, we had 25 people running on the day after Christmas at 3AM and the temperature dropped down to 33F / 1C here in San Diego, California.  We froze our butts off at the aid station, and most of the runners did as well.  With clear skies and a bright moon it felt even colder in coastal Southern California that night.


Well, I think I might have an answer.  Why not have long-distance virtual runs / races anywhere in the world at the time of your choosing? 

I know there are a bunch of virtual run companies out there that offer medals for 5K, through 26.2 mile runs.  There is also a company that offers medals for different distances of 100 miles or more without a time limit... just register, pay and get your medal.

I feel there is a place for each of those events as well as events with a fixed start and finish time or a maximum duration for the event, like 72 hours, 48 hours, etc. and there should be a fixed course or location for the event to take place over that time so a runner can have a crew support them and keep their time.

So, that's kind of what I am thinking about here.


No comments:

Post a Comment